Google Analystics Definition

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Browned butter is better...

I've been reading up on browned butter, or beurre noisette, and decided to try my hand at making it.  It's supposed to add a nice nutty, rich flavor to foods, and it's used a lot in culinary sauces.  Basically it's the process of cooking butter until the milk solids brown, giving the butter a darkened colour and nutty aroma.


Recommendations are to use a light-coloured/stainless steel saucepan over medium heat, as it will make it easier to judge the degree of browning.  It can be a fine line between browned butter or burned butter.  I decided to use a cast iron pot to do the job.

 I melted down 2 lbs of butter.  It started simmering away but didn't want to brown.  I realized the problem was too much butter - I wasn't supposed to be deep frying here.  So I scooped the butter out and browned it about a cup at a time - more of a "shallow fry" style. 

 Though it took a little longer than I expected, it worked!  I ended up with a nice pot of aromatic butter.  I used some right away to make a simple batch of chocolate chip cookies.  I decided to strain out the browned bits (milk solids) for the cookies as I didn't want them speckling the end product.  If I were to make a savoury dish, I would have no problem leaving the little bits in- they add flavour. 

I love Alton Brown's Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. It makes the soft-textured cookies - what drop cookies should be!



Though I got caught up watching Clash of the Titans on DVD and I ended up baking the cookies past the chewy stage anyways.  But no complaints as they tasted oh so good!  The browned butter did indeed add a deeper, richer flavour.  I really liked the crisp browned-edges that you don't get when you purposely underbake them.  I didn't even get to put them into the cookie jar - they got eaten up right off the baking pan.  (I must clarify that I had help...I didn't eat them all myself!!  Even though it was tempting...)

Now what shall I do with all that yummy browned butter sitting in the fridge?  I'm sure I'll find something else to cook up...hmmm...

- Irene

1 comment:

  1. Cookies don't normally call to me, but your pictures look irresistable. Mounded and crispy on the outside and soft cookie dough on the inside. I'll have to try the recipe sometime.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment.